• Under the Influence, John Deakin, Photography and the Lure of Soho is at the Photographers’ Gallery in London from 11 April to 13 July, along with a book published by Art / Books
1. Francis Bacon, 1952 (Vogue). Photograph: John Deakin/Vogue. Copyright 2014 Conde Nast
2. JP Donleavy, Soho, 1950s. Photograph: copyright 2014 John Deakin Archive
3. Jeffrey Bernard, Soho, 1950s. Photograph: John Deakin. Courtesy of private collection, London
4. Tony Abbro, newsagent, Old Compton Street, December 1960. Photograph: John Deakin. Copyright 2014 John Deakin Archive
5. Portrait of an unknown girl in a cafe, 1960s. Photograph: John Deakin. Copyright 2014 John Deakin Archive
6. Elizabeth Smart, 1952. Photograph: John Deakin. Copyright 2014 John Deakin Archive
7. Lucian Freud, c1961. Photograph: John Deakin. Copyright 2014 John Deakin Archive
8. John Deakin in characteristic pose, 1960s. Daniel Farson. Courtesy Private Collection London
9. Jackie Ellis, actress, 1960s. Photograph: John Deakin. Copyright 2014 John Deakin Archive
10. Timothy Behrens, Lucian Freud, Francis Bacon, Frank Auerbach and Michael Andrews at Wheeler’s, Old Compton Street, 1963. Photograph: copyright 2014 John Deakin Archive
Steven Beckly photography series: Little Wolf: Let’s Make Some Memories
Amidst all the planning, logistics, noise and rush of the hospital it’s easy to forget the little people that all this commotion evolves around. The anxiety and fear experienced by them and the pain that they go through before and after they go under the knife. Though these are the emotions we expect them to go through it is hardly evident, as they interact with you in their playful innocent ways; they are children after all.
Ask any one of them if they are scared, and you will get an almost uniform answer of “no” or “Laa” in Arabic. The impact that their heart conditions is having on their lives is noticeable, making them very feeble and weak. But through this process and the caring dedication of those around them, their lives can be changed for the better.
For more on all our projects visit www.almuntadatrust.org
[Pictures were taken by Charlie Hatch-Barnwell who has kindly volunteered on the the campaign]
Raw Caramel Sauce:
- 10 dates, depitted and chopped
- 2 Tb water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 2 Tb agave
Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- 1 1/2 c. non-dairy ice cream
- 1/2 c. peanuts
- 1 1/4 c. Enjoy Life chocolate chips + 1/2 c coconut oil, melted til smooth
Line a small dish (I used a 6″ pan) with parchment or wax paper.
Fill bottom layer with ice cream. Freeze for 20 minutes if ice cream is too soft.
Second layer is chilled date caramel sauce.
Coat with peanuts.
Freeze for 1 hour.
Remove from the pan and cut into 3″ pieces. Dip into chocolate sauce, place on parchment paper-lined plate and freeze again for 10 minutes.